Turkey Enchiladas with Pumpkin Chipotle Sauce
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 8-oz can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups chicken stock/broth
- 4 cups shredded turkey meat
- 4 green onions, diced
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup cohita cheese, or other fresh Mexican cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large saucepan, combine pumpkin puree, tomato paste, chipotle, garlic, cumin and chicken stock.
- Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- In a medium bowl, combine turkey and green onions.
- Add 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside. Wrap tortillas in a clean, damp dishtowel and microwave for 40 seconds, or until warm (you can also steam them).
- Spread about 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, roll a scant 1/2 cup of turkey mixture up in each, then place the tortillas seam-side down in the baking dish.
- You should be able to fit 8-10 tortillas in the dish, depending on how much filling you put in each one and how large your tortillas are.
- Cover tortillas with all remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of the sauce.
- Crumble cojita cheese and sprinkle evenly over mozzarella.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until cheese is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.