Yucatan Style Salmon
- 1½ pounds salmon
- 2 oz achiote powder (ground annato seed)
- 2 oz white vinegar
- 1¼ cups lemon juice
- 1¼ cups orange juice
- ½ tsp ground clove
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 oz canned chipotle peppers
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 oz grapeseed oil
- 5 banana leaves (could use foil instead)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a sauce pan, heat and stir the achiote, clove, oregano, allspice, cumin and cinnamon just enough to release the aromas.
- Put the heated spices in a blender and add the lemon juice, orange juice, salt, pepper, chipotle, garlic salt and oil. Blend to mix all ingredients.
- Soften the banana leaves by passing each one over the flame on the stove on both sides.
- Place each filet in the center of each leaf and add 2 ounces of the achiote sauce to each filet.
- Wrap the filet folding lengthwise and then folding each end under.
- Place the wrapped filets in a baking pan and add water to the pan so that the fish cooks with steam.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes at 350°F.