- Grill and char the chilies on both sides.
- Once blackened, put in a plastic bag for 10 minutes to sweat out any moisture.
- Remove from the bag, slit them down the middle and remove the seeds.
- Stuff the peppers with the Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco and use toothpicks to hold them together.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Add the egg whites to a large bowl.
- Reserve the egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric beater until the whites fluff up.
- Add in the flour and the egg yolks and mix until completely incorporated.
Preparing the Tomato Sauce:
- Add the tomatoes and water to a small pot over medium heat.
- Simmer the tomatoes until soft and stir in the garlic and chicken broth powder.
- Add the 1/4 cup of oil to a frying pan over low heat.
- Stir in the flour to make a roux mixture.
- Cook the flour until browned.
- Add the tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, and then add the oregano.
Cooking the Chiles:
- One at a time, hold the chilies by the stem and support the bottom with your fingers or a spoon, and dip the stuffed chilies into the batter.
- Carefully place them into a pan with 1 1/2 inches of hot oil.
- Cook each side until batter is a crisp golden brown. Remove chilies from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with your favorite salsa.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the cooked chile rellenos on the serving platter and serve.
- If desired, serve with rice and beans.>