- ½ cup coarsely grated zucchini (1 small)
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Mexican ground oregano
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons chopped mint (about 6 medium sprigs)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound Zacky Farms lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive or grape seed oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced thickly
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thickly
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 8 ounces of bottom mushrooms, sliced (about 6 large)
- 4 32-ounce tetra-packs of Swanson low sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill pearl barley, soaked
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 6-ounce bags Fresh Express baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Cilantro, to serve
- Mix first 7 ingredients well.
- Then add turkey and mix.
- Form meatballs and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add carrot, celery, garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, thyme and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Add barley, meatballs and zucchini. Simmer for 15
- Add spinach and salt and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro.