Christmas Fruit Punch
- 2 Tamarind Pods
- 10 Quarts Drinking Water
- 2 Quarts Hot Water
- 8-10 Hawthorne Apples
- 6 Guavas
- 3 lbs. Sugar Cane
- 1/2 lb. Prunes
- 1 Cup Green Apple,
- Peeled & Chopped
- 4 Large Oranges, Juiced
- 2 Pears, Peeled & Chopped
- 1 tsp. Ground Cloves
- 8 oz. Walnuts, Chopped
- 1 pint Brandy
- 2 lbs. Brown Sugar
- Soak the tamarind and the tejocotes in hot water for about an hour.
- Bring the 10 quarts of water to a boil in a very large pot, then reduce to a slow simmer.
- Remove the tamarind and the tejocotes from the soaking water and discard the water.
- Remove the brittle shells from the tamarind, and squeeze out the seeds from the pulp.
- Cut the tejocotes into quarters, removing the skin.
- Add the tamarind pulp and the tejocotes to the simmering water.
- Cut the guavas into quarters, and add them in.
- Chop or slice the sugar cane into chunks (remove the outer skin if it has it) and add them in.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove cinnamon sticks before serving.
- Use a large ladle and serve each cup with the chunks of fruit.
- (OPTIONAL-Mix in 1-2 oz of brandy per serving or you can add the entire pint to the batch before serving.)