Chicharron & Cheese Pupusas
- 4 cups prepared masa
- 1 1/2 pound ground pork (Chicharron)
- 1 El Mexicano Oaxaca Cheese
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
For the Curtido (sauerkraut)
- 2 grated carrots
- 1 chopped cabbage
- 1 can of jalapenos with vinegar
- salt to taste
- Fry the pork along with tomatoes and onions.
- Set aside, allowing the mixture to cool down till it can be handled safely.
- Soften masa with wet hands.
- Place the griddle on the stove and allow to warm.
- Make a masa ball the size of the palm of your hand and open a hole in the center which is filled with ground pork and cheese.
- With both hands, keep rounding until they are the shape and size of a small pancake.
- Make sure that the filling is completely inside the masa and place it on the griddle right away.
- Wait about 10 minutes or until the masa is cooked, then flip to cook the other side. Once the pupusa obtains a golden color and the masa hardens, it means it is done.
- Combine chopped cabbage, grated carrots, salt and hot pepper in vinegar. Serve this alongside the pupusas.