- 5 cups of water
- 1 cup unprepared masa
- 1 tablet of Ibarra Mexican chocolate
- 1 cinnamon stick (or a teaspoon of ground cinnamon)
- Piloncillo or brown sugar to taste (2/3 cups or more)
- Boil 3 cups of water. Combine the other two cups of water with masa and beat with a fork until well blended.
- Place a fine metal strainer over the pot of boiling water. Pour the masa mixture over a strainer such that it drops into the boiling water, leaving behind in the strainer any large lumps.
- Cook the mix for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly to prevent any lumps being made.
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces and stir into the pot. Add cinnamon and piloncillo or brown sugar.
- Cook while stirring the mixture for about 5 minutes, until the flour is cooked and has thickened enough.
- Taste the champurrado for sweetness and add more sugar if necessary.